Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Gratitude

Every time I come home to Boulder, its the same peaceful feeling. There are other very cool places in this world but I have a hard time imagining leaving Boulder. When I am gone I miss the mountains, the goofy people, the thin air, the great friends, the trail, the quaintness, the harsh sun and the cool evenings, the million cyclists on Hwy 36 any day of the week, The Cup, the climb to Jamestown, the bike path, the Chautauqua, the lack of traffic, the Happy Thursday cruiser rides (watching).... my soul is just happy in this place. I am so thankful I live here and still don't take it for granted after all these years.

Elke on a Mt. Sanitas hike the morning after I got home. Tradition.
When I am traveling I sincerely appreciate all the people I meet who are so willing to help out of the kindness of their hearts. I/we have been so lucky to make connections around the world and the US with people who go out of their way to help. It's the only thing that makes this whole professional bike racing thing work. Without the meals, the beds, the helpfulness, the interest, the laundry facilities, the friendship, the kitchens, the directions, the connections... it just wouldn't be possible.

My Amsterdam friends who went out of their way to take care of me with meals, local insight, rides, borrowed cruiser bike, a map (which I lost), and even an Olympic Stadium tour. Thanks John and Charlotte!

Shelley and I were also fortunate enough to have someone let us "borrow" their house in Manchester. Having a kitchen and laundry and space... it was such a blessing! No pictures but thank you Ema.

If you are ever in a situation to help a traveling athlete of any kind, please do. These athletes aren't traveling on a dime for the fame or money. If they were, they probably wouldn't be looking for your help :) These athletes are doing it because they are chasing a dream!

Thanks for all those who are helping my dreams come true.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

the only thing we can do as a volunteer is to help the riders to get everything they need if they are far from home like You.

Edwin Hommering

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.